- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981, d. Steven Spielberg)
- 48 Hrs. (1982, d. Walter Hill)
- First Blood (1982, d. Ted Korcheff)
- Police Story (1985, d. Jackie Chan)
- Big Trouble in Little China (1986, d. John Carpenter)
- Lethal Weapon (1987, d. Richard Donner)
- Robocop (1987, d. Paul Verhoven)
- Die Hard (1988, d. John McTiernan)
- The Killer (1989, d. John Woo)
- La Femme Nikita (1990, d. Luc Besson)
- Point Break (1991, d. Kathryn Bigelow)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991, d. James Cameron)
Trying to list the greatest movies from the golden age of action cinema, roughly 1980 to 1991. I came up with twelve that not only are classics of the genre but are outstanding cinema besides. We have:
Derek Austin Johnson has lived most of his life in the Lone Star State. A member of the Turkey City Writer's Workshop, his work has appeared in The Horror Zine, Tell-Tale Press, Skull Fragments: A Skelos Sampler, Rick Klaw's Rayguns Over Texas!, Nova Express, Moving Pictures, Her Majesty's Secret Servant, and Revolution SF. His film column "Watching the Future" appeared each month at Hugo Award-winning SF Signal.
He lives in Central Texas.